"Whatever you are, be the best you can be."

Monday 7 May 2012

New Music Monday - Discovering Rhythm & Blues

This year I've decided to embark on a journey of self-discovery, I love anything to do with reinventing your life and I am currently feeling inspired by Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project.  She says that what someone else finds fun, is not necessarily what everyone else finds fun.  I think it's important to try new things, and discover what you like in life.  Today, I'm starting with music.

I don't know a lot about Blues music, so I've stumbled across BBC Radio 2 's Rhythm & Blues show, with DJ Paul Jones.  On first listen, this reminds me of Jools Holland's style of music, which I've liked what I've heard.  There's a lot of harmonica which I like, and it has a laid back, honky-tonk kind of feel to it.  It's pleasant, and gives me images of a dark smokey bar, where you can just recline on a couch, drinking whiskey, with a smile on your face. 

On tonight's show Dani Wilde was the featured artist in session.  I liked the last song she sung, 'Falling', and this one I've just found on Youtube:

I don't know much about Rhythm & Blues, but I know enough now to know I want to know more.  I found a couple of interesting links from the BBC Radio 2 show website, two magazines that seem to cover modern Rhythm & Blues music.  They are:  Blues in Britain - an independent magazine writing about the best in British blues music, and FRoots - The essential folk, roots and world music guide. 

I'm looking forward to finding some new music to like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please note - all comments are approved before appearing below. I don't like spam!)