"Whatever you are, be the best you can be."

Thursday 17 February 2011

Beautiful Music - My Top 5

After watching the Brit Awards, I realised just how out of touch I am with modern music. I am in my late 20s, and it just feels like I am not young and hip anymore. I have no idea who most of the artists are, and I don't feel moved and excited when I hear their music.

So I decided to search out the Official Music Charts and see what I was missing. From that, I have compiled my own personal chart music, of what I am enjoying at the moment. I have to admit, this mostly came from the Album charts and some from the classical music charts. I guess as I am maturing, so is my taste in music. I hope you like what I have to share:

1. Andre Rieu & his Johann Strauss Orchestra (feat Mirusia Louwerse) - Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again


Andre Rieu is a Dutch violinist, conductor, and composer best known for creating the waltz-playing Johann Strauss Orchestra. When you put Andre Rieu in front of an orchestra, magical things start to happen. Music that really moves you, and takes your heart for a dance in the magical moonlight. This track is taken from his current Number One album in the Official Classical Album Charts, Moonlight Serenade. This is a live performance which is sung with the beautiful and enchanting Mirusia Louwerse, a soprano opera singer with an angelic voice, all the way from Australia. Here is, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again...




2. Katherine Jenkins - Ave Maria


Katherine Jenkins is a Welsh mezzo-soprano. She is a classical-popular crossover singer who performs across a spectrum of operatic arias, popular songs, musical theatre and hymns. She has an angelic, slightly deeper operatic voice, which captures your attention. She recently appeared in the Doctor Who Christmas Special, which featured her beautiful singing voice echoing through the quiet corridors like a sorrowful siren. Very memorable and very beautiful. This song is taken from her Premiere album currently sitting at Number eight in the Official Classical Album Charts. The video below includes an introduction by Aled Jones, which I'm afraid I don't understand a word of as I am not welsh, and do not have a clue what he is saying! Though I am sure it is something lovely about Katherine Jenkins. Here she is, singing Ave Maria...




3. The Overtones - Gambling Man


OMG! The Overtones, where have you been all my life? How did I miss these guys? The Overtones are a five - piece British/Irish doo-wop vocal harmony group from London, their music is bouncy fun, and they put on a great performance completely in sync with one another. They look a lot of fun, and I really hope they stay around for a long time to come. OMG I love them! Here they are singing Gambling Man on This Morning, which also gives us a great opportunity to meet them...



4. Imelda May - Tainted Love


Imelda May is an Irish vocalist and musician, whose music reminds you a little of old Hillbilly music and Jazz combined. It's a little unusual and at the same time a breath of fresh air. This performance is taken from Jools Holland's Live BBC Show, and shows her to be a good live performer too. Why wasn't she on the Brit Awards? Please enjoy her version of Tainted Love...




5. Talay Riley - Sergeant Smash


Talay Riley started out as a very successful songwriter, he is now branching out in his own with his second single, Sergeant Smash, which grabs your attention from the military drums right at the beginning. I love the music video, which features military uniforms and pretty cool dancing to a strong drumbeat. I love this, striking, catches your attention, and soon becomes a very likable track.




No comments:

Post a Comment

(Please note - all comments are approved before appearing below. I don't like spam!)